Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tweet away!

As my Library has been planning for our blog over the past couple of months, we discussed having a Twitter feed on our blog (or also on our Library’s homepage). Our original inspiration was theUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Undergraduate Library’s use of a Twitter feed (see UGL Alerts on the right side of the page). We thought this would be a great way to inform patrons of more urgent information such as snow closings or technical issues (including when databases are down). It also makes the website dynamic, so patrons know to check it often. Even though I still really like what UIUC has done with Twitter, it seemed like we would be duplicating a lot of information that we hope to have on our blog. Students could still subscribe to updates using RSS or FeedBurner, so the mobility part is also covered. Having said that, I think after we have our blog up and running for a few months, it’s possible that we will revisit Twitter.

I use Twitter in my personal life to keep in touch with family and friends. Sometimes I put up a funny story from the day or a website that I like. It is so quick and easy to do! Twitter has replaced instant messaging in my personal life.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: