Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dream Big!

I first have to say that unfortunately I am not the creative, big thinker, so I will probably not have as many grand ideas as some of my classmates. My strengths are organization and implementation.

My library has already started to think about how 2.0 tools can be used in order reach our patrons. One way (as everyone knows!) is Flickr. We have also started to plan a blog, which we hope will not only be informative but fun as well. We hope that the mixture of Library information with fun items will enhance the Library’s approachability factor and make our patrons a little more excited about the Library and its resources. Another tool our Library has recently implemented is SubjectsPlus. Our SubjectsPlus includes an A-Z list of our databases with descriptions, links to our e-book collections, subject guides, custom class guides, and FAQs/How do I … ? (both general and subject-specific). This tool has proven to be a tremendous supplement to our website.

I guess my only “dream big” idea would be short video tutorials that show patrons how to use our resources. These could include the online catalog, our e-books, and various databases. They could also be done a different levels - basic, intermediate, advanced. These tutorials could be seamlessly added to our website, SubjectsPlus, and/or our blog. I am excited to read my classmates’ big ideas!

Thank you for reading!

No comments: