Thursday, October 2, 2008

Apartment classifieds

I’ve moved a lot in the past few years (fortunately I am going on my third year in my current apartment, which is a record for me!). I’ve used Craigslist for my moves both around Boston and out-of-state. I really like this website for apartment listings, because you get all types of people posting. You get a person who is looking to sublet, you get the person who owns a few rental properties, you get small management companies that don’t have much money to advertise, and you also get large management companies who are trying every outlet they can. The one thing I don’t like about Craigslist for apartment searches is that sometimes the results list is a bit overwhelming. Although you can search within the results list, I don’t always find this to be very effective (maybe it’s because I am a librarian and I’m picky about these things). Having said that, I find Craigslist in general to be an interesting concept. I haven’t thought of using it for things other than apartment rentals, but I am certainly going to explore the site a bit more.

I have also used Boston.com for apartment searches. I find that the types of postings are a bit more narrow than Craigslist. It’s usually (although not always) medium to large companies who probably have a bit more money. (This is not always a bad thing when looking for a home though.) The one think I do like about Boston.com’s website is the number of limiters they give. You can search in one town, for number of bedrooms, for maximum rent, etc. quite easily. However, due to the fact that there are not as many postings at Craigslist, you can sometimes narrow yourself down to no results.

In summary, I like both of these websites for apartment listings for very different reasons. If I have to move again in the next few years, I think that I would use both of these sites in my search.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Karrie said...

Hi Amanda,

In the spirit of Web 2.0, I just joined LinkedIn and I am inviting all my fellow 26.2ers to join my network there.

Karrie Peterson