Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Photosharing

Thank you so much to Jennifer for the publicity to my Library’s Flickr page! We’ve worked really hard on it, so it is nice to see that other people will view it. If anyone has any feedback on the page, I would certainly love to hear it (good, bad, or otherwise).

Photosharing tools are something that I have taken advantage for many years, as my family lives in Pennsylvania and I have moved around a lot. I like being able to take pictures of what I am doing up here, and not only get to tell my family about, but show them as well. In my personal life, I use a Flickr Pro Account. I have found Flickr quite easy to use, both as a poster of pictures and a viewer. I have yet to find a photosharing tool that I like more than Flickr.

I first took a look at Photobucket for my discovery activity. I do like some of the special effects that you can do with your pictures, but I didn’t really find anything that I would use personally or professionally. I did a search for cats and looked at some of the pictures (very cute!), but again, I cannot see much of a use for this particular tool in my life. UPDATE: I had my picture taken with the stars of one of my favorite TV show this weekend, and I went onto Photobucket to see if I could create a funny greeting card for Xmas. I was able to use the sticker function in order to put Santa hats and winter apparel on us. It was really cute and pretty easy to figure out!

I also took a look at Picasa to see if it is something I would use to edit or organize my personal photos. I didn’t like that I would have to download software to my computer, even if it is from Google.

I also took a look at SmugMug, which is a site that I had never heard of. Although it is a little more expensive than Flickr, it is a tool that I would consider switching to for my personal photos. I like the idea of themes for my photos. I have a number of travel photos, so I think it would be nice to select a theme for these photos. Other than that, SmugMug didn’t seem too different than Flickr.

Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

Jennifer Koerber said...

You are most welcome for the added exposure. As you've mentioned, other libraries are doing similar things with their book covers, but it was a treat to be able to use a student's work as an example. Congrats! As for SmugMug, one of the differences I noticed was the stress on stability and security of long-term storage for your photos. What kind of guarantees does Flickr Pro make in this regard, versus what SmugMug promises?