Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Podcasts

One of my majors in college was German, and I love speaking and hearing the German language. However, I no longer have a way to hear it or speak on a regular basis. So this one reason I really like podcasts. One of my favorites places to go on the Web to practice my German is Deutsche Welle’s website. Luckily for me, they have many different podcasts that I can listen to on my computer or download onto my iPod through iTunes. This is a great way for me to hear native speakers and keep my listening comprehension up-to-date. I also used to listen to Rick Steve’s travel podcasts a lot when I didn’t have cable and couldn’t watch the Travel Channel. I was able to learn about a number of destinations and glean many tips from Rick Steves and his guests; however, it was difficult for me to hear about a destination and not see images of it. So it was harder for me to listen to these on a walk or a jog, but nice if I could sit at my computer and look up images of the destinations.

I know that many libraries are podcasting as well. If you go into iTunes and search the podcasts for “library”, you will get a number of different types of podcasts from many different types of libraries. I think that podcasting is 2.0 tool that is a little bit more difficult to implement in libraries, because you really need to have an audience that is already captivated.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: